Here at 20/20 Eyeglass Superstore, we’re concerned with keeping our Orlando patients’ vision as clear as possible. We also want you and your family to have healthy eyes for the upcoming Spring. In addition to getting an annual eye examination.
Cataracts are the leading cause of blindness in the world today. By the age of 65, over 90% of people have a cataract.Cataracts cause the lens of the eye to become clouded; the loss of vision is gradual and painless, so it can be difficult to know that it is happening at first. While you should always speak to your health professional for guidance about preventing and treating cataracts, there are some healthy practices which you can pursue to help keep your vision in great shape for years to come. This article provides some suggestions, with a gentle reminder that there is no surefire way to prevent them but keeping in good health is always a good approach, as is awareness of the potential.
- Protect your eyes from the sun. Long-term exposure to the sun is dangerous for many reasons from skin cancer to the promotion of cataracts. Pop on the sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat and stay indoors between the hours of 11am and 3pm
- 2. Avoid smoking. Smoking releases free radicals into your body, reducing its capacity to repair damage.
- Know if you have any predisposing factors. Some of the following things can set you up for cataracts:
- Long-term steroid use
- German measles while you were in the womb
- Diabetes (type 2) – an inherent inability to metabolize carbohydrates; diabetics are known to get cataracts faster
- Toxin overload – chemicals etc. that you might have been exposed to or worked with
- Eye injuries and eye diseases
- Eat your dark, leafy green veggies and fruits in abundance. An Ohio State University study has shown that these play a key role in cataract prevention. The antioxidants in kale, spinach and collard greens have been proven to work against cataract formation.
Always seek proper and full advice from your health professional; every individual is different and your own circumstances cannot be solved by reading articles online.
To read the original article Click here
When was the last time you and your family members had an eye examination? Drop by any 20/20 Eyeglass Superstore location and meet with an Independent Optometrist. Walk-in’s are welcome but we ask that you come at least 20 minutes to your desired appointment time to fill out the required paperwork. Check out our previous post regarding interesting eye health information for more neat facts about eye care.
By getting your eyes checked regularly, you’ll be able to keep them healthy your whole life. Neglect can be costly!