Our eyes truly are the windows to our soul, and as such it is vital we take good care of them. Did you know that even if your vision is 20/20 there are strategies you can adopt each and every day to promote your eye health?
We are only born with one set of eyes, so it is vital we do our best to care for them in the best way possible. The sun, wind and environmental pollutants all pose potential dangers to our eyes each and every day.
Here are some tips to consider when caring for your eyes daily:
- If you work long hours at a computer or reading, lift your eyes away from the screen periodically to rest them. Focus on a distant object. This prevents your eyes from becoming over strained and helps rest overtired eyes. Take a few minutes to close your eyes and relax them. See (Computer Eye Strain).
- Consider applying two tea bags or cucumbers to your eyes for 10 minutes each afternoon, to help reduce puffiness and allow your eyes a much-needed rest.
- Always wear sunglasses with adequate UV protection. If a pair of sunglasses doesn’t have a UV stamp or sticker, don’t assume it is blocking out the suns harmful rays. Always verify your glasses provide ample protection.
- Wear eye glasses during windy days to avoid over exposure to the elements. There are various shades of glasses you can wear outdoors to protect your eyes during windy days.
- Wear eye protection when biking or engaging in other vigorous activity that might result in inadvertent injury to your eye.
- Splash cool water on your eyes periodically during the day to help relax them and reduce puffiness.
- Avoid using heavy creams around the eye area, which may result in irritation or become too pasty.
- Avoid touching your eyes with dirty hands, which can lead to infections including conjunctivitis.
- Consider replacing old eye make up or foundation every few months to keep the eye area clean and infection free.
- Always remove any make up or sunscreen from around the eye area before going to sleep at night.
- Remove contacts in the evenings, and always clean contacts regularly.
- Have your eyes checked by a certified optician annually to rule out any disease or changes in vision.
Even if your eyes seem in perfect health, consider having an annual or bi-annual exam Drop in at 20/20 Eyeglass Superstore® and ensure your eyes stay in the best shape possible. Over time even the best eyes experience some wear and tear.
20/20 Eyeglass Superstore is Central Florida’s premier eye care provider with three locations in Winter Park, Melbourne, and Orange City. We are proud to feature thousands of frame styles, lenses from the leading manufacturers, and sunglasses from the brands you love and trust.
To read the original article click here