If you’re like most Americans, you spend at least eight hours a day staring at your computer screen. According to the American Academy of Optometry, just two hours in front of a laptop or computer per day can cause increased eye pain and vision problems.
You’ve likely heard of ergonomics, but do you know about “eyegonomics?” When you’re spending the day looking at a screen, whether it’s a tablet device or a smartphone, you can suffer from eye strain as well as neck pain. You know how it is; you start out sitting straight, but then find yourself slouched over sitting with your neck bent at an uncomfortable angle and before you know it, you have neck and back pain, not to mention red, irritated eyes.Yes, you can get eye strain simply from using a digital device for more than two hours at a time. Think about how many screens you look at during the course of your day. Desktop and laptop computers, smartphones, e-readers, tablets, televisions and gaming systems. In fact, in a survey conducted by The Vision council, more than a third of U.S. adults reported spending four to six hours a day with digital devices.
To help combat the eye fatigue and irritation, the Vision Council offers these tips for incorporating good “eyegonomics” into your day.
- Use the 20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break and look at something 20 feet away
- Create an ergonomically-friendly work station with proper lighting, seat adjustments, and monitor settings
- Maintain an appropriate distance from handheld and stationary device screens
- Enlarge your computer text and browser windows for easier viewing
- Clean electronic device screens frequently to eliminate dust and glare
- Remember to blink; staring at screens can dry eyes
Read the original article on mashable.com
Even if you are not experiencing changes in your eyesight you could already be manifesting very serious eye conditions that you are not aware of. It’s always smart to have a check up! If you are in the Orlando area, come and visit 20/20 Eyeglass Superstore or call us at 407-767-5600407-767-5600 and make an appointment.
Here at 20/20 Eyeglass Superstore we offer our customers competitive pricing. We have thousands of frames to choose from and do not lack in great quality customer service. We have a frame for every face and a price for every budget.